Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Silver City and the Giant 7 Year-old

So, in September, as I usually do, I went to Old Navy and bought Isaac a whole winters worth of the next size (the one he's growing into) of jeans. In December I noticed that he was struggling to get them on, up, boxers tucked in and snapped. Then I noticed how the hem had crept up onto his leg. Okay, so I went to Old Navy and bought him another set of jeans in the next size, size 8 (he's still just 7). I figured they'd be big, but that's what adjustable waists are for...They fit him perfectly in length and waist. Geez! About 4 weeks later, it was deja vu--difficulty getting the pants on. Ummm...seriously? Two sizes outgrown in one season?
I was, needless to say, shocked, for about a week. So naturally, I had to weigh and measure him. Yeah, 70 lbs. and 51". And that was at the end of January, who knows where he is now.
Anyway, Isaac has been skateboarding since the beginning of the school year. Every week he seems to improve and is trying new tricks. Luckily, he isn't too much of a dare devil. He tries new things that are a realistic stretch of his skills. The mom in me says "Whew!"



Toward the end of January, Isaac and I made a spur of the moment trip to Silver City for a few days, where my mom has recently moved. Silver City has an amazing skate park, which Isaac got to visit a few times. I included a picture of him practicing going backward. He has been practicing going down and up in a bowl, back and forth so he is going forward then backward. He also tried out the tunnel into a lower portion of the park's bowl. If you know skate parks, the last picture will show you about half of the park, and you can see how awesome it really is!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Kira wants to go skateboarding now. "That's Isaac! I want to go with him and do that! That looks like so much fun!" :)