Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Diaper Cake

No, no, it's not edible. When I first heard of these I thought it must be a cake shaped like a diaper, but who would want to eat that?! Then I did what every American does, I googled it! Then I had an ah-ha moment: it's a cake made out of diapers, decorated with things needed for new baby and topped off with anything cute, fuzzy or useful. A friend of mine is expecting in August and I decided to make a diaper cake for her. It was so much fun!
For those of you who are curious, the whole thing is built around something cylindrical (paper towel tube, bottle full of candy, or in my case a stacking cup set). I rolled up diapers and secured them with rubber bands, then held them in place by yarn which I covered up by a wide ribbon. Then I used narrow ribbon to tie on small baby needs (pacifiers, feeding spoons, a rattle, teething rings, etc). I made smaller bows and ribbons with large flower buttons at the end as decorations. Lastly, I cut a large circle out of cardboard and covered it with some fabric as a base. I'm sure for some of you this truly boring, but maybe not for some of you...It was really fun for me, hopefully the mom-to-be will like it!

No comments: