Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Quilt Details

Okay, so that blog post was driving me nuts trying to get it to look the way I wanted with the info next to the pictures that I wanted. Over an hour now and it still wasn't working and I started over twice. I was about ready to throw the computer out the window and then just decided to post the pictures and separately post the info about the pictures. I know you'd all understand and it is saving my sanity.
It is finally DONE! I've been working on it for a while, but the last few weeks have been a major effort in embroidery. The center square of the chameleon took 36.5 hours! Isaac's class name this year was the Chameleons and they have spent the year studying all different kinds of change. Each of the kids used fabric markers to draw chameleons for the centers of the quilt squares. I sewed them all together and added the center square of the chameleon. On the bottom right of the quilt I also embroidered a square with the name of the teachers, the class grade and year, as well as the name of the class.
Next is the whole center square, followed by a closer picture and then a really close picture of the face to show the detail of the embroidery. The background is hand appliqued, as is the chameleon's body. However, all of the detail on the chameleon is hand embroidered.
Next is Isaac's square. I acknowledge my bias, but I also think Isaac's is one of the best. I like that he used the whole square, bright colors and accurate details of what a chameleon looks like.
After that is the square in the lower right corner of the quilt, before I sewed it into the whole quilt. The one below that shows the detail of the embroidery. 19 hours into this square. Never thought it'd take so long, just like the chameleon square. But they turned out just as I imagined them, so with all of the work behind me, I'm glad I did it.
Lastly, I finally signed a quilt. It seemed strange, oddly felt egotistical, but after 13 or so quilts I guess it's time to start signing them. Since the kids all wrote their names on the frame around their squares (you can see this on Isaac's square) I thought that'd be the place for me to sign as well.

No comments: