Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Other Quilt

When Isaac first attended Satori, he was in Brenda's 3's class. Toward the end of school, she asked me if I could sew together some kind of quilt (she had learned that I sewed over the course of the year). I agreed and promptly found and bought fabric that when with their class name "Los Penguinos." The quilt turned out so nicely (and sold for $700 in the auction) that Brenda made me promise to make her class quilt every year after, until...forever. So I made a deal with the Brenda, and have kept up my end of the bargain. Last year it was "Los Carros," this year "Las Mariposas." Luckily, so far she has managed to pick themes that I can find on fabric. Here is this year's quilt. Only 28 or so hours into this one.
Not perhaps the best pictures, but you get the idea. Brenda uses fabric paint to print their hand prints as the centers of the squares. This year my dear friend Tonya had the idea of making their hands prints into butterflies, and I think they turned out really cute. For something different I hand appliqued three butterflies onto the top of the quilt. I like this quilt pattern because it looks like the hand prints are in the panes of windows.

No comments: