Sunday, June 24, 2007

Hiking the Aspen Loop Trail with Grams

My mom took Isaac hiking on Mt. Lemmon today. They hit the Aspen Loop Trail, a three mile loop, which Isaac conquered with minimal complaint and effervescent enthusiasm. I stayed home and took a nap after my three overnights in a row (I took an extra overnight for a co-worker). Despite several mishaps, including slipping into the water and getting drenched, Isaac had a great time and came home telling me "I got really hurt on the hike," oh-so seriously ;-) Really, he was filthy dirty and minimally scraped up. Grams says he was a great trail guy and politely greeted all the other hikers on the trail, including those who walked by while they ate lunch--Isaac in his underwear--while his shorts and shirt dried from his spill: "I slipped in the water and my clothes got soaked! Now I'm eating lunch in my underpants." Of course, when Grams suggested this resolution to their dilemma he said "But then when everybody comes by they'll see me in my underwear, I don't want them to see me like that."
Evidently, it was too good a story NOT to tell them...Isaac wanted to do lots of rock climbing and did some, though many of the rocks he aspired to climb will have to wait a few years for strength and deeper understanding of consequences. After plowing through the hike, seemingly with ease, they were able to convince another hiker to take their picture together. I am so glad to foster and encourage Isaac's love of the outdoors and hiking. In fact, Grams and Isaac have been camping out on the back porch the last two nights, really roughing it on the futon just outside the back door. But he is quite gun-ho
and maybe next visit we can all do an overnight camp on Mt. Lemmon. I know Grams is all for that! However, as Grams told me just now, she enjoys doing anything with Isaac. We are off to spend the evening together now that Isaac has gone to bed. More fun tomorrow I'm sure!

No comments: