Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Family Night at the Climbing Gym

Tonight Isaac, Paul and I went to the climbing gym. For his birthday, Isaac got a harness and then we bought him a helmet and rock shoes with some of his birthday money. He is all decked out, though after tonight and his fascination with it, I think a chalk bag and ball are next on the purchase list. Though I have seen Isaac climb a couple times before, I was amazed at his stamina: he would climb a route, zip down and then immediately get right back on the wall. We arrived around 6:30p and climbed until 9p! I forgot to bring the camera--do-d0-head mom--but I was able to capture a few decent shots with Paul's Pocket PC--AKA ritzy phone. They are a bit blurry, but here they are anyway.
I was so inspired by Isaac's climbing, that although I hadn't planned on it, I decided to hop on the wall and climb a couple of routes. Tried a more challenging one first and made it 3/4 of the way up when my legs were shaking too much to go on. So I tried an easier wall just to get the feel of it again, it has been over 6 years since I last climbed, after all. I rang the bell and rappelled down. Isaac was upset that he had missed me climb, so up again I went--the things we'll do to appease our kiddos...Paul also hopped on the wall and spidered up a couple of routes, he sure made it look easy! I think we'll go back next week and Paul and I will be more appropriately dressed for climbing. At the beginning Isaac wasn't sure he wanted to go all the way up, but when we pointed out the bell at the top he could ring--to let everyone know he made it--he couldn't get on the wall fast enough, with a big smile too!
Lots of fun, and it was so nice to be out all together doing something as a family. As you all know, we rarely have that opportunity, maybe we can make it a regular Tuesday night event. Cheers to more family time! Our friends Andi and Linda were also there with their two girls Izabella (6) and Sydney (4) so Isaac had a chance to climb with friends. Being older, Iza is a bit more experienced than Isaac and will provide a little friendly competition and something to aspire to. You can see Isaac and Iza on the wall together in the second shot.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats funny Miwa...do your friends climb every Tuesday because I'm pretty sure that's the little girl Collin climbs by. They are too cute though and she sure is good at climbing.

Isaac looks like he's having fun though! It's amazing how strong kids are!!

Soto Family said...

Yes, they do climb all the time and Andi and Linda said they have seen you there, too. Iza is like a spider monkey--very good climber!