Thursday, September 3, 2009

Molly Ringwald's Butterflies

My friend Julie had a baby last August named Athena. Julie loves butterflies and Athena's room is all pink and green. Being me, I wanted to make her a quilt. I bought all the stuff and then while I was at her house, found out that her family had already made her a quilt in all the same colors. Darn! So I decided to make the quilt anyway and then donate it to Quilts for a Cause. They auction off the quilts and donate the money to cancer research in Southern Arizona. But when Julie saw the quilt top, she wanted the quilt. How could I refuse? I recently got it back from the quilter and now that I gave her the quilt today, I can post pictures and not ruin the surprise. To the left is the whole thing.
Here is a close-up so you can see some of the fabrics a little better. I found lots of fabric with butterflies, but also some flowers, polka dots and fruit.





The next picture shows the quilting. I don't do this, I pay someone else to do it as I don't have the skill or the several thousand dollar machine to do it.



Last is a picture that shows a little of the back--pink with green polka dots. I actually made her a French memory board out of the same fabric. I couldn't help but name it Molly Ringwald's Butterflies because the color combination reminds me of all of the great 80's movies with Molly Ringwald that I grew up on.

No comments: