Monday, October 29, 2007

Pumpkin Carving

This is the first year that Isaac and I have actually carved a pumpkin. Last year he drew faces on his pumpkin, then wiped them off with a wet paper towel and drew a new one. This year I felt he was ready to give a real carving a try. On Friday his class went on a field trip to Buckalew Farms where he and his buddy Shenna (each student in his class has a buddy from the 8th grade) picked out a pumpkin. He came home dusty and excited. Yesterday we got to carving. He drew on the line around the top and I cut it out and emptied the gooey guts. Then he drew a face on with markers which he then poked into the skin with a plastic tool. We wiped off the marker and he got to carving. He did almost all the carving himself, but need my help to be sure it was cut enough that the piece would come out. I helped carve the teeth, too.
Here is the finished product. Looks pretty good to me! He is so proud and excited to have his pumpkin done! Of course we had to put a candle in it to test it out, that picture is below. Isaac is counting the days until he can dress up for his Halloween parade at school and then of course for trick-r-treating. Day after tomorrow! I will save pictures of him in his costume (it's a surprise) until after Halloween. Hope you all have a safe and fun Halloween!

No comments: